These healthy pizza poppers are deliciously crispy, easy and quick to make, and unbelievably budget-friendly. These fun-size pizza poppers make wonderful mini summer appetizers, healthy summer party finger foods, and summer snacks for kids and adults alike because they’re loaded with powerful antioxidants that’ll lower inflammation, boost heart health, and more!
If I had to choose just one appetizer to serve at a summer party or BBQ, I’d probably pick these ridiculously easy pizza poppers. Everybody loves pizza, PLUS they’re super versatile for everyone’s dietary needs. So all your vegan, keto, low fodmap, and gluten free friends can all chow down together without feeling left out. Never heard of the low fodmap diet? We get into it on this episode of my Healthier Together Podcast.
Plus, they’re so perfectly light that you can confidently rock your favorite bathing suit and go in on this easy snack that has all the flavor of a delicious pizza, without feeling heavy and bloated like you might from a regular pizza. If you’re looking for healthy cauliflower pizzas to serve as a healthy meal for a crowd, do a pizza bar with my grain free and vegan pizzas like buffalo cauliflower pizza, tortilla enchilada pizza, and blackberry pesto pizza!
Ingredients in healthy pizza poppers
This easy summer snack isn’t only delicious, but also so NUTRITIOUS. Tomatoes are packed with lypocene, which is shown in research to be the most powerful antioxidant for protecting us from cancer and keeping our heart healthy. I like to use cherry tomatoes in this summer recipe because sweet and slightly tart is everything! Here’s what you need to make these healthy pizza poppers:
- Cherry tomatoes: these are the perfect tomatoes for this summer recipe because they’re bite size and have the best, sweet and almost sour flavor.
- Olive oil: a little drizzle of olive oil on the tomatoes will help them roast to perfect and bring out that umami flavor, plus help the seasoning stick.
- Spices: dried oregano and fine grain sea salt is all you need for that perfect pizza flavor, but feel free to use Italian seasoning if that’s what you have on hand! If you have any low fodmap guests, just make sure there’s no garlic powder in it.
- Cheese: use your favorite kind of cheese. I like parmesan, cheddar, or mozzarella! If your guests are vegan, opt for a plant-based cheese. If your guests are low fodmap, use cheddar!
How to make healthy pizza poppers
- First, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Next, prepare your cherry tomatoes. Cut them into halves and place them on the baking pan. Toss them in a drizzle of olive oil and add a generous sprinkle of dried oregano and a big pinch of fine grain sea salt and toss with your hands to coat evenly.
- Then, spread the tomatoes out on the pan so they’re not touching each other and so that the inside of the tomato is facing up (this is important!).
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until the underside of the tomato is dark brown and even with black specks but not totally burned. Remove them from oven and sprinkle on the cheese. Roast again for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!
How to serve healthy pizza poppers
I think these healthy pizza poppers would be the perfect summer snack or easy appetizer for BBQs or pool parties. Either way, your friends and family will love it and YOU’LL love it because you can make this appetizer for a crowd for under $10 and in less than 5 minutes of prep time! Here are some fun, easy ways you could serve them at your next summer get together:
- Place them on a serving plate with tooth picks
- Put them on kabob sticks with mini balls of mozzarella and pepperoni slices for even more pizza vibes!
- Serve them in individual mini dishes so each guest can grab and go
More healthy summer snacks to try:
I hope these pizza poppers become your new go-to healthy summer snack, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
- 1 clamshell of cherry tomatoes
- a drizzle of olive oil
- a generous sprinkle of oregano
- a big pinch of fine grain sea salt
- a big sprinkle of shredded parmesan, mozzarella, or cheddar cheese (can be vegan!)
- First, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 400F. Then, prepare your cherry tomatoes by cutting them into halves and placing them on the prepared sheet. Toss them in a drizzle of olive oil and add a generous sprinkle of dried oregano and a big pinch of fine grain sea salt. Toss with your hands to coat evenly.
- Spread the tomatoes out on the pan so they’re not touching each other and so each tomato is facing cut-side up. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until the underside of the tomato is dark brown and even has black specks but not totally burned.
- Remove them from the oven and sprinkle on the cheese. Roast again for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately while hot, and enjoy!