I know baked oats have been trending, but with basically the same ingredients you can make an actual CAKE that’s all baked and ready to go in less than two minutes in your microwave!! This Mexican Hot Chocolate Mug Cake is made with oat flour (keep scrolling for how to make your own), coconut sugar, cacao powder, and a handful of other ingredients. It’s beyond easy to make and is super, super delicious.
How to make oat flour
Oat flour is literally just finely ground oats—like, truly. You can make it yourself at home by adding some oats to a blender or food processor. That’s the whole shebang. So here, we take those finely ground oats (store bought or homemade), and combine ’em with just a few ingredients in the mug we’re gonna eat from (can I get a hell yes for less clean up??).
Why I love this Mexican Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
Before getting into the specifics of this recipe, let’s talk about why I love mug cakes. For one, they’re super easy to make (at least they should be, IMO). No mixing bowls, no ovens, no special pans. Typically all you need is a microwave, a microwave-safe mug, and a spoon to stir, and that’s definitely the case for this recipe.
All you do is mix together all the ingredients until they’re well combined. Then microwave in 30 second intervals until your cake is set in the middle, which takes about one and a half minutes. If you don’t have a microwave or you’d rather use your oven, use an oven-safe bowl or pan instead of a mug, and bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until set, about 15 minutes.
Back to what makes this Mexican Hot Chocolate Mug Cake recipe extra special. Thanks to being made with oat flour, it’s gluten-free (if you make your own, just double check you’re using gluten-free oats). Plus, it’s refined sugar-free and accidentally vegan. It also over delivers on deliciousness—it seriously tastes like the richest, most delicious chocolate cake you have ever had, with just a hint of spice. I like mine topped with ice cream, but if you’re going to eat yours for breakfast—because yes, it’s that healthy—maybe skip that. Or don’t!
Important mug cake tip!
The biggest trick to this hot chocolate mug cake, but also any mug cake you want to make: do not overfill your mug. You want to be at the halfway point, so if you have batter beyond that, put it in a separate mug. Over halfway equals an exploded mug cake in your microwave, which really negates the less clean up point we cheered for above.
More healthy dessert recipes
Loved this recipe and want to try another one of my healthy desserts? These are a few more of my faves!
- 5-Minute Healthy Birthday Cake Freezer Fudge
- Healthy Cardamom Orange Tahini Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan Option)
- Grain Free Gingerbread Cookie Skillet (Refined Sugar Free)
- The Best Grain-Free S’mores Blondies (With Gut-Healing Marshmallows!)
Watch it being made!
Enjoy, and tag me if you make it on Instagram (@lizmoody)—I can’t wait to see!Print
Mexican Hot Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain mineral salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Big pinch of cayenne (use more if you want it spicy, and omit if you don’t love spice!)
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips (optional but fun! If you use them, measure with your heart)
- Mix together all ingredients until well combined. Microwave in 30-second intervals until set in the middle, about 1 minute 30 seconds. You can also bake at 350 Fahrenheit until set, about 15 minutes. Serves 1! Enjoy!
Keywords: hot chocolate mug cake
Yes! Oat flour and almond flour can always be subbed 1:1. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Yes! Oat flour and almond flour can almost always be subbed 1:1. I hope you enjoy the recipe!