These Fudgy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches are one of my FAVORITE healthy desserts I’ve ever created! The brownies, which are decadent, chocolatey, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free, are the perfect vehicle for your favorite plant-based ice cream. I’d bet this easy homemade ice cream sandwich recipe will soon be on repeat in your house like it is in ours!
Truth: I was nervous this healthy ice cream sandwich recipe would be too complicated when I was developing it. But, plot twist: it’s so freaking easy, you guys. I saw this genius ice cream sandwich-making hack from Buzzfeed Tasty’s Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich recipe that involves baking the two brownie sandwich halves IN THE SAME PAN, separated by parchment paper. I’m still shook. The result is two, perfectly thin brownie-sandwich halves with no extra bake time or extra clean up. Beyond that, you just need this healthy fudgy brownie recipe and a pint of your favorite ice cream!
What makes this ice cream sandwich recipe healthy?
These delicious grain free brownie ice cream sandwiches are everything you’ve ever wanted in a healthy dessert – all while packing LOADS of health benefits like:
Reduces arthritis symptoms and inflammation
Balances blood sugar
Uplifts your mood
Everything you’ll need to make the best fudgy brownies
My tried and true healthy brownie recipe uses amazing, nutrient-dense ingredients in place of highly processed ones that you’d find in pre-boxed brownie mixes. Here are the ingredients in this recipe that’ll make you feel so good:
- Avocado oil: gives these brownies their insane fudginess and is considered the healthiest oil. It even earned prescription drug status in France because it’s proven to counter the negative effects of arthritis!
- Almond flour: balances blood sugar (actually proven to help manage diabetes!) and encourages weight loss while keeping these brownies gluten free and grain free.
- Eggs: my choice is always organic and pasture-raised, like Vital Farms.
- Cocoa powder: Make sure you’re using unsweetened, high quality cocoa powder which will give this brownie recipe the ultimate chocolatey flavors.
- Vanilla extract: brings out the flavors and has been known to have a positive effect on anxiety and depression.
- Coconut sugar: to naturally sweeten these brownies and give them the perfect texture.
- Fine grain sea salt: adds in trace minerals and electrolytes like magnesium (which helps you poop!) and makes all the chocolate flavors pop.
- Baking powder: adding just a smidge in this recipe to give the brownies their cakey texture.
- Chocolate chips: feel free to use dairy-free chocolate chips or chop up your favorite dark chocolate bar!
How to make brownie ice cream sandwiches in one pan
This easy ice cream sandwich recipe can be made in one baking pan for a fast, delicious & gluten free, dairy free dessert!
- Make the batter. Melt the chocolate chips with avocado oil and set aside. Then, mix together the dry ingredients then add the eggs and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Then, add the chocolate-avocado oil mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Bake the brownie sandwiches. Pour half the batter into a parchment-lined baking pan so it’s spread evenly. Top it with a second layer of parchment paper to add the remaining half of brownie batter. Top that with a third layer of parchment paper, pressing it down, to keep the top brownie layer in the perfect sandwich shape. Bake for 20 minutes, and let it cool for 15 minutes before separating the two brownie layers.
- Add the ice cream! While your brownie layers are cooling, let your ice cream soften at room temperature for 15 minutes. Then, spread the ice cream on top of the bottom brownie layer all the way to the edges. Place the second brownie layer on top and press down gently. Put the whole pan in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
- Cut the sandwiches. Remove the pan from the freezer and trim edges, to give it a precise look. Then, cut into squares and enjoy.
How to store these healthy ice cream sandwiches
I’d be impressed (but also unsurprised) if you finished all 12 of these ice cream sandwiches in one sitting (they’re that good), however if you’re controlling yourself,, you can absolutely save these in the freezer and have them for dessert all week long. Just keep them in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, dive in.
More healthy dessert recipes you’ll love:
The Best Healthy Monster Cookies
Cookies and Cream Cookie Dough Bites
Healthy Cookie Dough Milkshake
Healthy Birthday Cake Freezer Fudge
I can’t wait for you to try out this easy to make brownie ice cream sandwich recipe. If you do make them and share a photo on Insta, remember to tag me (@LizMoody)! I’m so excited to see!Print
Fudgy Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Total Time: 12 hours
- Yield: 12 sandwiches 1x
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1 1/4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint ice cream of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8” x 8” pan with parchment paper, so some hangs off the ends as a handle to lift the finished brownies with. In a microwave or double boiler, melt the avocado oil and chocolate until smooth. Set aside to cool while you make the rest of the batter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup of coconut sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Pour in the avocado oil and chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, tapping on the counter to make sure it spreads evenly (I also like to use a spoon with a thin layer of oil on it to press the thick batter to the edges).
- Top with ANOTHER layer of parchment paper so that it completely covers the first layer of brownies. Pour the remaining half of the brownie batter on top of the parchment paper—you’re essentially making two thin brownies in one pan, which will serve as the two brownie sandwich halves. Add another layer of parchment paper on the top, pressing it into the second layer of brownie batter. This layer keeps the brownies from rising, and makes sure they stay flat and ready to turned into sandwiches!
- Pop the whole pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before removing the top piece of parchment, and separating the two brownie layers.
- Leave the bottom brownie layer in the pan for ease of handling. Let brownie cool completely (I put it in the fridge or freezer to speed up the process).
- Let your ice cream sit out for 5-10 minutes to soften, then spread a layer on the bottom layer of brownie, using a spoon pushing all the way to the edges. Place second brownie layer on top of frozen dessert and press gently with your hands. Put the whole pan in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
- Cut into squares (trim edges if you want a more precise look), and enjoy! Store in the freezer until ready to eat.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes